Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ew, I know.

Yesterday morning, around 6 am, Liam was cooing and gargling in his crib.  As usual, he was giving me my 1-minute warning before screaming to be picked up.  As I entered the room, I instantly detected a gross yet familiar smell.  I looked into the crib to find him lying on his back and smiling as if nothing were wrong.  The sheet beneath him had a large, dry circular stain and when I picked him up, I found that his back and head were similarly covered.  He must have thrown up during the night and then fell back to sleep.  Ew, I know.
Strangely though, it was a happy sight for me.
If you've been reading, you know that Will had a stomach virus less than 2 months ago.  Last week, he got sick again-- same thing-- except the duration.  He wasn't able to keep anything (besides some dry Cheerios and Gatorade) down for five days and he was so lethargic.  Each day, he spent the entire morning on the couch, dozing on and off, and then at around 1 pm he would announce that he was ready for his nap.  His toys hadn't moved in a week and he barely had any interest in what was on television.  He was visibly losing weight and had absolutely no energy.  Although the pediatrician told me that this could happen, five days of this had me worried...
I can't even begin to put my deepest fears in writing... What if it wasn't a stomach virus?  What could it be?  He washes his hands at least 30 times a day, how could he have this again!?  Google, WebMd, Google, WebMd.... Aaaahhhhh....
And then came that beautiful sight on Saturday morning.  Liam was sick-- not usually a good thing-- but in this case, it meant that Will probably did have a virus and he had passed it on.  Yesterday Will ate some toast and banana for breakfast, played Legos on the couch all morning, then had a plain cheese quesadilla for lunch and ran an errand with Bill.  He took a nap around 4 pm and woke up the next morning at 7:30 am.  This was a significant improvement and today has been even better.  
Hopefully, Liam's recovery will happen a little faster.  Unlike his brother, he seems to really love that Pedialyte.  I took a swig and can't say that I agree-- yuck.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

He looks so big in that picture! Hope everyone is starting to feel better - you guys deserve a break :)