Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Storybook Land 2009

The pre-nursery and nursery school classes at Will's school take a trip to Storybook Land every spring.  Will had a great time last year (first photo) and he's been looking forward to this trip (second photo, same kids) for the last twelve months.  
This year, some of his favorite moments included riding on the big yellow bus, running through the Alice in Wonderland Tunnel, peering into all of the Storybook houses and riding the train.  From the enormous selection of souvenirs in the gift shop, he selected a squishy octopus (which has absolutely nothing to do with the trip).  And some of my favorite moments included watching Will participate in all of the above activities. 
Will conquered some fears, mainly due to peer pressure, and he rode the Tilt-a-Whirl and Roller Coaster.  As the ride operator buckled us in, he listened intently as I assured him.  He clenched my arm and buried his head in the side of my chest.  As each ride came to a stop he smiled and he danced off the ride yelling, "I was brave... I was brave... I was braaaaave..."  This was a favorite moment.
.
As we were riding the balloons with Ryan, we had some interesting conversation...
Me:  Whoa.  What planet do you want to go to, guys?
Will:  Earth!
Ryan:  Atlantic City!
Me:  This ride makes my belly feel funny!
Will:  This ride makes my penis feel funny!
Ryan:  Me too!
Another favorite moment.
.
But above all, I enjoyed the bus ride home.  It was sunny and quiet, as most of the kids were exhausted and parents were chatting quietly.  The bus windows were partially opened, letting in a warm breeze.  In a nostalgic, sort of comforting way, the bus bumped, rocked and swayed along the parkway.  Will played with his stretchy octopus and we talked about the day.  He leaned against me and I watched as he slowly drifted off to sleep, eventually falling into my lap.  I brushed his hair with my fingers and memorized the feel of his hand in mine.  All the while, I was thinking about how much he had changed in the last twelve months and how quickly he's growing up.  A little bittersweet, but above all, my most favorite moment.
(You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to get this photo.)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Little girls can never get away with saying that a ride makes their vagina feel funny. Why is that? ;)
So glad you guys had fun. I seriously can't wait to take La Lizzie.

MamaJoss said...

Gosh...what a lucky guy that YOU came along for the ride -- so sweet! He looks so cute hangin' with his buds :)