Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pee and Patience

Will has been diaper-free since August.  He's been sporting his Cars/Diego/Buzz/Thomas "big boy" underwear morning, noon and night.  In these last four months, we haven't had a single accident.  Not one.  That is, until today.
Both of my kids were sleeping this morning, as I prepared to take a quick shower.  Just as I was about to turn on the water, I heard Will calling me.  I suggested that he hop into my bed and watch television while I showered.  He hopped out of his bed, and into mine, as I was flipping through the kids' channels.  
"Mommy, your bed is wet."
I checked under the covers and realized that Will was soaked-- and so were my sheets and mattress cover.  I was shocked and struggled to be patient and reasonable.  I kept asking him, "Why?".... as if he would have some kind of rational explanation.  He didn't have much to say as I dragged him to the tub for a bath.
I got him dressed and checked on Liam, who was still sleeping, but beginning to stir.  I told Will that he would have to wait on his bed while I took my shower.  I lifted him onto the bed and suddenly realized that his bed was wet.  (I think it went something like this... "Aaaaaaaahh!")  I could feel my patience slipping away.  I realized that Will had actually wet his bed and then trucked his little wet butt across the hallway to do similar damage to mine.  (As if my basement isn't already full of laundry.)
"I'm not upset that you had an accident, but I'm upset that you didn't tell me.  Why didn't you tell me?  Why did you get into my bed if you were wet?"  Again, foolishly hoping for a rational explanation as I stripped his bed and realized that the urine soaked right through the cloth mattress cover.  By now I could hear Liam fussing as he was waking up.  Within minutes, he would be crying to be picked up, changed and fed.  I sat Will on the floor with a pile of books and headed into the bathroom.  I was determined to take that shower and hoping that a few minutes to myself might calm my growing frustration.
By the time I was finished with the shower, Liam was screaming.  I threw on some sweats, scooped him up and headed downstairs with Will.  Due to the screaming, I opted to feed him right away.  As he finished his bottle, I put him in his infant chair and ran upstairs to grab a set of the dirty sheets so that I could start the laundry-fest.  Then I was making coffee and chocolate milk and loading the dishwasher and starting breakfast...  Finally, I realized that I had forgotten to change Liam.
I picked Liam up, only to realize that his diaper had leaked up his back-- saturating his onesie, his pjs, and his chair.  
I guess good things aren't the only things that come in threes.  And that was only the first hour of my lovely day, which thankfully got much better.  
Lately, my new mantra is courtesy of Axl and circa 1989... "...little patience, mm yeah, mm yeah need a little patience, yeah just a little patience, yeah some more patience, yeah need some patience, yeah could use some patience, yeah gotta have some patience, yeah all it takes is patience, just a little patience is all you need"
Patience... and Lysol.

3 comments:

MamaJoss said...

Soaked onesies/beds, brutally fast showers, sweatpants, screaming/hungry baby, pile of books, mountains of laundry, COFFEE...coffee...more coffee and the need for Patience...sounds just a little bit like my morning as well.

Mike said...

Sounds like a real crappy start to the day but it seems like you kept your composure and didn't get too pissed :)

njgirl0976 said...

I always found that spraying the pee stain with Lysol and then pointing a small desktop-sized fan at the wet spot dries it faster. Of course, when you're at the grocery store and you forgot the diaper bag and you're frazzled and harried and wondering how you can buy a week's worth of food with $30and you hear the unmistakable sound pooping from your grinning baby, the last thing you can think about is being patient.