Sunday, January 11, 2009

Catching Up with Six Things

Last Monday, my resolutions kicked in.  I started Weight Watchers and greatly reduced my coffee intake.  I kept the television and computer off for most of the day and spent more time playing with the kids.  Instead of falling asleep on the couch in the evenings, I started going to bed at a decent hour.  And the result?  A more patient and well-rested mom with happier kids who is down a few pounds and suffering from a slight headache due to sugar withdrawal.  Also, a blog that hasn't been updated in about a week.
For a quick update, here are six things I would've written about over the last six days, if I would have had the time and energy.  
1: Playdate at Chrissy's house. Will and I both met some new friends at a fun playdate. Chrissy made the most incredible sandwiches (chicken salad with apples on raisin bread... who knew?). Considering it was his first time meeting a lot of new kids, Will played pretty well. Proud mommy-moments included watching Will share, be polite and be kind to babies. Not-so-proud mommy-moments included watching Will make guns out of Legos, jumping off the ottoman and trying to pull the Thomas tent as it was full of other little kids.
2: "Are you kidding me?" Apparently, I say this a lot. I think this is my 'frustration phrase', reserved for times when I'm feeling stressed or irritated. For example, as we're running late for nursery school, when both kids are bundled and loaded into their carseats on a 20 degree morning and Will announces that he has to 'go potty right now'. Or when I've just finished bathing and feeding Liam, and he's finally drifting off to sleep, I hear the distinct sound of a diaper being dirtied. Are you kidding me? Now, it seems Will has adopted this seemingly harmless phrase.
"Will... come sit down for breakfast."
"Mom, are you kidding me?"
"Will... no more television."
"Mom, are you kidding me?"
"Will... time for a nap."
"Mom, are you kidding me?"
This is now his retort for any request he doesn't find pleasurable. He uses this pointedly annoyed tone and usually accompanies the phrase with a loud, deep sigh. Do I do that? Yep. Uh oh... Note to self: Omit 'sucks' and 'crap' from daily vocabulary before it's too late!
3:  Liam's 5-month well visit.  Liam had a well visit last Monday.  He is 26 inches and he weighs 17 pounds 10 ounces.  He got 2 shots and 0 tears-- He was happy and cooperative throughout the entire visit.  I think he likes all the attention.
4:   Twister.  We got Will a few new games for Christmas.  His favorite, by far, is Twister.  When he plays with mom, it's just Twister.  When he plays with dad, it becomes a wrestling match.
5:  Melanee's First Birthday Party.  We went to the party as a family and had a great time.  Bill and I enjoyed great food and conversation.  Will and Brodee made guns out of legos, ran and chased each other, destroyed the ball pit and tortured a poor 16-month old.  Liam discovered shiny, mylar helium balloons.  Like I said, great time.  
6:  Will's First Skating Lesson.  Will and dad had their first 'Parent and Tot' skating lesson.  Will did great.  He's one of the youngest out there and he made lots of improvement in the first week.  I met Bill and the kids at the rink, because I was coming from a tutoring appointment.  Bill got both kids ready and dressed Will in a matching outfit.  The pictures are priceless. 

1 comment:

@sweetbabboo said...

Good for you for sticking to your resolutions. Your sound like ones I need to adopt.

And, I can't believe your 5mo old didn't shed a tear with 2 shots. He must be very brave.