Sunday, February 15, 2009

"Are we being punked?"

Visiting public places with an infant is always an adventure.  One thing that I've noticed, in particular, is how different people react to a baby.  
.
Some people seem annoyed.  When Will was a baby, we were at a men's league hockey game.  I was on my own, as Bill was playing in the game.  I needed to keep getting up and down for various reasons-- going into the diaper bag, picking up a dropped toy, adjusting the baby seat.  A guy sitting behind me, yelled at me to sit down.  I was pretty proud of myself for turning around and telling the guy to go park his ass somewhere else.  The arena was practically deserted-- there were hundreds of empty seats all around and the tickets were without seat numbers.
Some people seem indifferent.  A few months ago, I was on a long line at Target.  Liam was hungry and screaming.  Will was tired and getting into all kinds of trouble.  We didn't have too many items and I was hoping someone might be nice enough to let us skip ahead in line.  No such luck.  Not even a sympathetic glance.
Some people seem delighted.  Before Peapod, when I would visit the grocery store, some people would take the time to smile and talk to the baby.  Sometimes this exchange would be quick and pleasant, but at other times it would get rather uncomfortable.  Some people-- complete strangers-- would hold the baby's hand or rub the baby's cheek.  Although I never said anything, this would always make me feel a little uneasy.  
However, none of these experiences quite prepared me for yesterday's encounter.
We had lunch at a local hibachi restaurant for Valentine's Day.  We arrived at around 2 pm and the restaurant was pretty empty.  We had purposely chosen a time after lunch, but before dinner.  After the food was prepared and while we were eating, one of the servers approached.  I was balancing Liam on my knee and she asked, in broken English, how old he was.  Then, without saying a word, she stretched out her arms to hold him.  I guess that I was completely caught off guard, because in retrospect, I don't think I would have handed him over.  But I did.  I handed my six month old to this complete stranger.  
He was smiling and content and she stood in front of me holding him.  It was a little awkward, but it seemed fine.  Then she turned her back to us and started walking away.  She started weaving in and out of the tables and heading towards the back of the restaurant.  I looked at Bill and the people dining across from us looked at me.   I let out a nervous laugh and asked Bill if he thought we were being 'punked'.  She kept going.  I was on the edge of my seat.  Should I get up?  Go get him?  They were now in the back of the restaurant and I wasn't sure if she was going to head through the doors into the kitchen.
Just then, she turned around and came back.  Flooded with relief, I grabbed the camera and took this picture.  As I snapped the photo, Bill said, "You're totally going to put this in your blog, right?"
Right.  
Now how about leaving a comment?  What would you have done?  
(You can just fill-in your name where the form says "Name/URL"... You don't need an account!)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would keep eatting

Anonymous said...

I did the exact same thing! LOL except that gia was 2! We were at a diner & The waitress, who i let hold gia, took her into the kitchen.. at that point I looked at my husband asking (lauphing).. should i RUN and get Gia??? as i stood up to get her they came back out. Gia was fine and talking away but what a scary moment!

Anonymous said...

Ha! That's classic. Being the totally paranoid person that I am, I don't think I would have let her hold the baby in the first place, although, really, there is nothing wrong with it. But, I am a total freak like that and a thousand thoughts would have been running through my head.....Ha! You did well! Impressed you were calm enough to snap a pic!!!

Anonymous said...

Not sure what I would of done....being the control freak that I am I don't think I would of let her hold Brianna.....cute picture :-)

MamaJoss said...

Don't you almost wish that the whole "stranger-anxiety" would have kicked in...if Liam started crying right away you'd have had the excuse to take him right back. Darn happy babies!! This is a tough one Cara would have reacted the same way (nothing you could have done!)...you crack me up that you snapped a photo though..."totally bloggable".

Anonymous said...

this removes me of the story of a couple on vacation in rural China. They were traveling with their dog. When they were seated at a restaurant a waitervtook their coats and the carrier that the dog was in. The didn't speak Chinese and ordered at random.

The meal was delvious, but at the end the waiter brought out their coats and an EMPTY doggie carrier! Using nonverbal language they ask for their dog. The waiter points at the left overs on the table.

That's where I thought your story was going.
Glad all ended well!

How was the hibachi?

designHER Momma said...

that's crazy...and totally blog worthy. Glad you got your babe back, I would have totally done the same thing.

at least it makes a good story. and props to you for taking a picture! ha!

Anonymous said...

I would have kept Caryn in sight. I would have then got her back and ordered a drink, a hard one! :)

Anonymous said...

omfg!

Anonymous said...

Erick and I went to lunch last week at Chili's. The place was almost empty, so most of the waitresses were hanging out near our table (why do I always get seated near the waitperson station??). Elizabeth was colouring, munching on oyster crackers, and waving her juice cup over her head like a sword. By the time our meals came, most of the waitresses had migrated over to our table to chat Lizzie up. Elizabeth loves attention and can reply to most questions with an exuberent "YEAH!" that cracks people up. While we were paying our bill, Lizzie decided she was done with sitting and wanted to roam. Our waitress scooped Elizabeth up, took her hand and started to lead her into the kitchen.
"Is it okay if I take her to meet the cooks?" the waitress called over her shoulder.
Considering she was 3/4 of the way to the kitchen with Elizabeth, I gave my okay and headed off to the bathroom. I'd had Chili's 2 for 1 margarita deal and needed to pee.
When I came back to the table, Erick had Elizabeth next to him on the bench and they were surrounded by EVERY SINGLE FEMALE that was in the resturant at the time. I could care less: I got to pee in peace without trying to chase a toddler around a public bathroom.
I guess I'm trying to say--in my very roundabout way--that as long as I don't get the heeby-jeeby vibe from the person (no open sores, has all their teeth, no visible lice, etc), anyone can hang with Elizabeth.

Anonymous said...

I, uh, posted the last, very long comment but forgot to add my name. Duh.