Thursday, February 24, 2011

2 Weeks

Two weeks have come and gone with nearly no spare time to update this blog.

I did get my two long runs in... both 11.2 miles (or seven 1.6 mile loops). Each time, I was aiming for a full 12 miles and each time I couldn't get it together for that last mile.

My weekday runs haven't been as regular as I would like. Each week, I've only gotten an additional two runs in. Each one totalling four or five miles. Bill is wrapping up the end of his coaching season, so I'm hoping to get more time to run during the week.

I've switched over to using an energy gel for my long run. I'm really not convinced that it's actually doing anything. I mean, I don't actually feel a burst or replenishment of energy. This week, I'll be replacing one of the water bottles on my belt with Gatorade. Hopefully, this will make more of a difference.

The challenge in getting to that 12 or 13 miles in the long run doesn't seem so much to be an issue of energy though. I've adjusted my pace so that I'm not out of breath and the run is, for the most part, comfortable. At the end of the tenth mile, what's really failing me is my leg muscles. My legs are just tired.

For anyone whose been keeping up with these posts, the leg pain is entirely (knock on wood) gone! Also, not a single blister since I got the new socks and Body Glide. Unfortunately, this last long run brought on some pain beneath the arches in both feet. I'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch and not another long-term issue to struggle with. It made the last mile on that long run very uncomfortable, but it didn't bother me today on my 5-miler.

Another challenge has been the wind. Over the last two weeks, the wind has been so strong and cold. Once I complete that 10th mile, my first layer is pretty soaked with sweat and the wind just freezes me. Also, running against the wind is just hard.

Last week was a big week for fundraising though. I helped out with a student council event at my school and (although the final totals aren't in as of yet) I'm hoping to have raised at least $1,000 for LLS. The students did nearly all of the work and I'm so grateful to them for their help.

My next step for fundraising is to write an email to my colleagues at work and to write a letter to the parents at Will and Liam's school. I have about $500 to go, which should be do-able. I also need to write Thank You notes to those that have already donated... this is something I've been wanting to do for a while, but just haven't been able to make the time.

And hopefully this is the week that I make it to 12 or 13 miles.

No comments: