Monday, February 28, 2011

Thirteen

With the longer days and warmer temps, I'm back to running at my old stomping grounds. It's a 5-mile trail (packed sand and gravel) with slight hills, gorgeous scenery and clear markers at each mile. I haven't been able to run there for the last two months because it's not lighted and because there's been a ton of snow.

Yesterday's change in venue motivated me to do my longest run yet... 13 miles. The weather was perfect and the trails were pretty clean with just a few muddy spots. The last mile was fairly ugly-- I walked a little here and there... but I did make it. I ran the 5-mile loop and then ran it again up to the four-mile mark and turned around. That's 5 + 4 + 4 = 13. It was definitely a challenge.

Next week, I'm supposed to make it to 15 miles. I can't fathom that I'll be ready, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Bill's last hockey game was last night, so I'm hoping to get at least three weekday runs in this week. Maybe the extra conditioning will pay off.

I ran with the Lemon-Lime Gatorade for the first time and skipped the other fuel products (Gu Chomps/Gel). The other stuff didn't seem to be making much of a difference. The problem with these products (and the Gatorade) is that it makes me even more thirsty. My water belt holds 24 ounces and it's always all gone by the end of the long run. As a side note, my six-year-old iPod is barely holding its charge. More miles, more problems.

I just made an appointment with an orthapedic doctor at a clinic that specializes in sports medicine. My feet are killing me and I'm really worried about the dreaded p-word... plantar fasciitis. Running the length of the sole (plantar aspect) of the foot is a thin layer (fascia) of muscle. If this layer gets injured in any way, a fasciitis can be started. My feet have been hurting since last week and I basically ran through the pain yesterday.


The fascia helps to support the longitudinal arches of the foot, especially the medial (inner) arch. Anything which causes this arch to flatten or distort will have an impact on the plantar fascia. Unsupportive sneakers can have a major impact on the onset of this condition. The long arch must be supported by the shoe, both inside with arch support cushioning, and also by the inner edge of the shoe itself.

I know for a fact that I have very high arches. The customer service rep at RR sports warned me that I could develop PF without using supportive inserts. I've tried to buy "over-the-counter" orthodics inserts to support the arches-- however, none of them have fit correctly and they've caused a host of other problems. I've been running for three years without inserts, so I just hoped to continue without any problems.

I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow and I have a good feeling that he'll outfit me with some custom inserts. In the meantime, I'm hoping that he doesn't put me on the DL.

I can't imagine taking time off now that I'm so close to the end of training.

No comments: