Thursday, November 13, 2008

Breaking Bad Habits

When I went from being a mom of one to being a mom of two, multitasking became a necessity and television became my best friend (and trusted babysitter).  
With so much to accomplish in the morning, I fell into the habit of skipping my own breakfast and letting Will eat breakfast in front of the television.  It was supposed to be just one half-hour program.  With that half-hour, I could feed Liam or empty the dishwasher or do some laundry or pick up around the house.  It was quiet and I was productive and before long, Will was asking for just one more show and maybe one after that... and he would just sit there, in his little chair, staring at the screen.  With the extra time, I could blow dry my hair or put on some make-up or check my email.  The time became addictive, especially if Liam was napping and Will didn't seem to mind.  
Currently, however, it has become much easier to meet Liam's needs.  I am getting far more sleep at night (knock on wood) and things seem more manageable.  Why am I still plopping my 3-year-old in front of the tv with a plate of waffles?  Why do I look at the clock and realize, after being awake for four hours, that I haven't eaten anything but coffee and random junk food that's on hand?  (It's no wonder that my coffee-drinking, chocolate-eating, dumb-ass got a three-day headache.)  
So, as you can see in the above picture, we're turning over a new leaf and trying to do things better.

No comments: