Sunday, November 9, 2008

Date Night

My wonderful husband made a suggestion last week.  My parents, who had volutneered to take the kids overnight, could watch Will and Liam and we could go out for the night.  We set it up for Wednesday night, but we never made definite plans about what we would do or where we would go.  The only thing for sure was that Wednesday night (the whole night) was just the two of us (for the first time in TWO years).
Wednesday was kind of a crappy day.  It was dark and rainy and I was going on about 4 hours of sleep.  Bill announced (on his way out the door) that he would be home late.  Will wasn't too cooperative with the before-school morning routine (washing, dressing, eating-- you  name it).  I arrived at BJ's, with baby in-tow, only to realize that I had left the coupons at home (knew I would hear about that later...).  At the pediatrician, Liam received not 1, but 2 vaccinations. After school, Will procrastinated, whined and cried about having to take a nap-- while Liam screamed in the background for his lunch.  The two slept simultaneously for about 10 minutes, and then Liam fussed for about an hour and a half (probably due to the shots).  As Liam slipped in and out of catnaps, I spent about an hour dragging the bulk purchases into the house, putting them away and doing general laundry, dishes, etc., before Will woke up.  Then, while trying to keep both kids amused, I ran around the house trying to pack up their overnight essentials-- multiple outfits (in case of accidents), pjs, bottles and formula, diapers & wipes, toys & books, blanket & stuffed animal, infant tylenol & thermometer (those damn shots!)...  Liam finally passed out and I went upstairs to attempt to get ready for the big date. Unfortunately, since Will wasn't into watching television, a shower was not to be had.  Instead he followed me upstairs to play piano, turn the lights on and off, experiment with my make up, try on my shoes, flush the toilet, open and close the closet doors... you get the picture.  After trying multiple outfits (Damn this post-baby weight and damn that 2 pounds of Halloween candy!) and multiple hairstyles (painfully growing out layers), we were on our way back downstairs to hear the door slam and to hear Liam start crying....
"Hi Sweetie.  I'm just going to go up and take a quick shower... Wha-What's the matter?"
The car ride to my parents and then to the restaurant was pretty quiet-- initially because I was insanely cranky, then ultimately because I fell asleep. (Sounds like a promising evening...) After a quick stop for a bottle of wine, we were sitting in an Italian restaurant.  Not just any Italian restauarant... one with an autographed photo of "Opie & Anthony" hanging on the wall.  (Just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?)    
No, but seriously, it did get better.  After one glass of wine, the challenges and stress of the day seemed to disappear, along with my irritability.  After the second, I was flushed and completely relaxed.  By the third, I was having dinner with the most handsome, sexy and charming man in the most elegant place in the world.  By the fourth, well, let's just say that one can never underestimate the power of alcohol.
We did have a great night-- and no, it wasn't just the wine.  Bill is a wonderful partner and spending some down-time together was heavenly.  It was so nice to have some quiet, uninterrupted time alone.  We were able to hold hands and gaze at each other across the table.  We were able to have meaningful conversation over a good meal.  We were able to laugh, relax and enjoy each other's company.  (And then we were able to go home and partake in all the shared activities that my husband prefers... just kidding, honey.)  The next morning, we both got to sleep in (did I mention...for the 1st time in TWO years?) and we went out for a great breakfast.  (The photo below was taken outside the restaurant.)  
Now, it's Sunday afternoon.  We've spent a busy weekend with the kids, complete with birthday parties, swimming, soccer, shopping and such.  It took me three nights to write this post because I was unable to stay awake long enough to put a complete thought together.  (Things are back to normal, I suppose.)  Just one more thought... I would just like to send out a big thank you to my husband, my parents and the wine (not necessarily in that order) for a wonderful time.
   

No comments: