Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Three R's of Will's Class Trip

Realization
About two weeks ago, Will's school announced a class trip to a nearby farm for a hay ride and pumpkin picking. Parents were invited, but not required to attend.  I decided to let Will go on his own... thinking this would be a good experience, one that would serve his sense of independence.  
Then, about one week ago, Will came to the realization that I wasn't going.  He broke into tears and insisted that I come along.  Being a teacher of adolescents, I know just how fleeting this sentiment is.  (In a few years, he'll probably be begging me not to come.)  So, I decided to go along.
Reproach
As we arrived at school, Will's friends (Christos and Russell) were sitting on the carpet.  Will joined them immediately and the following conversation ensued regarding the seating arrangement for the school bus:
Christos:   (teasing) I'm sitting with Russell.
Will: (whining) I want to sit with Russell.
Christos: (super-whining) No, I want to sit with Russell.
Russell seemed to be ignoring them.  At this point, I decided to interject some humor to diffuse the situation.  
Me: (giving Russ a squeeze and a smile, exaggerated whine) No, I'm sitting with Russell.
I didn't get a chance to gauge their response.  I hadn't noticed Will's teacher, who had been standing behind me and listening to our conversation.
Teacher:  (annoyed) Boys... Let's not worry about who we're sitting with.  We're all friends in this class.
D'oh (Homer Simpson)... I felt like such an idiot.  
Revelry
Overall (if we omit the part where I lost my kid in the corn maze), the trip was a great success.  The kids had an awesome time and I got the opportunity to meet some other great moms.  
By the way... guess who got to sit next to Russell.

No comments: